Extensive roof repairs have secured the future of an historic railway building in Corris. Carried out by local contractor Brian Roberts the work has been completed on the Victorian structure which once housed the stables (for seven horses), the road coach house, harness room and parcels office of the Corris Railway. The coach house was added to the building around 1900 when the Corris Railway began running horse buses to Talyllyn Lake for tourist traffic.
The original Corris Railway line was closed by British Railways in August 1948 but the Stable and Coach House building was partially acquired by the Corris Railway Society in 1969 who achieved sole possession in 1974. Various partial repairs and maintenance jobs have been carried out over the intervening decades but the recent works, whose timescale included the “Beast from the East” and the wet weather of March, has been a comprehensive re-roofing that will secure the building for the long-term future.
Today the building houses the Corris Railway Museum, plus a sales counter which also sells train tickets and light refreshments. It is open on days when the Corris Railway is operating trains along the revived section of the narrow gauge railway between Corris station and Maespoeth Junction. The next operating days are May 5th, 6th and 7th.